The JobMaker Hiring Credit Scheme is an initiative by the Federal Government for employers to employ people that received the following Government Assistance:
These are those who commenced employment between 7 October 2020 and 6 October 2021; were aged between 16 and 35 years at the time they commenced employment; have worked an average of 20 hours a week for each whole week the qualifying entity employed the individual during the JobMaker period.
Additionally, the worker must have met the pre-employment condition, which requires that for at least 28 of the 84 days (that is, for 4 out of 12 weeks) immediately before the commencement of employment of the individual, the individual was receiving at least one of the following payments:
- parenting payment
- youth allowance (except if the individual was receiving this payment on the basis that they were undertaking full-time study or was a new apprentice), or
- JobSeeker payment.
Employers will be entitled to receive for up to 12 months the following for new hires:
- $200 a week for hiring a worker aged 16 to 29 on at least 20 hours a week, and
- $100 a week for those aged 30 to 35.
The criteria are broad (for example, having an ABN, is registered for PAYG withholding, being up-to-date
- with lodgement obligations, reporting through STP); however, some employers are specifically excluded, as follows:
- employers who are claiming JobKeeper
- entities in liquidation or who have entered bankruptcy
- federal, state, and local government agencies (and entities wholly owned by these agencies)
- employers subject to the major bank levy
- sovereign entities (except those who are resident
- Australian entities owned by a sovereign entity).
Key to the scheme is that employers must have hired additional eligible employees. The additional criteria for the first four JobMaker periods requires that there is an increase in:
- the business’s total employee headcount (minimum of one additional employee) from the reference date of 30 September 2020; and
- the payroll of the business for the reporting period, as compared to the three-months to 30 September 2020.
Should you require further information on the above, or assistance with the application for this scheme, please contact Mark Calleja on 9923 2959 or firstname.lastname@example.org